By Emma Exon
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, it’s that time of year again when the shelves are stocked with bears and chocolates, couples are acting especially lovey dovey, and even the TV is littered with ads sensationalizing the holiday. Although it may seem that a boyfriend or girlfriend is necessary to enjoy the day of love, it is important to love yourself first. Here are just a few reasons why being single on Valentine’s Day is actually better.
- All the candy is on sale, and you can buy it all for yourself. Dark, white, milk, raspberry, and any other chocolate you can think of is available, and you don’t have to feel pressured to get it for anyone. Almost all your favorite candies will be marked down and you can indulge guilt free. Enjoy!
- You have the night to yourself. Rather than dropping dozens of dollars on the perfect date, you can just have a night in with the girls! Or you could watch Netflix, go shopping, read a book, you name it! The night is yours and you’re wallet will thank you.
- You have a chance to try something new. Take an art class. Try your hand at cooking or yoga. Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to show yourself a little love and find something that makes you happy.
- You won’t get any flower-related injuries. Roses can be pretty, but the thorns are sharp enough to cut through skin. The plastic wrap that many bouquets come in poses a hazard, and the flower food is toxic to dogs (which just so happen to make great Valentine’s Day cuddle buddies). When you’re single, you don’t have to worry about any of these things.
- You can meet someone new. You’re not the only one single on Valentine’s Day. There are plenty of fish in the sea and this holiday provides a good reason for you to reel in one of your own.
- You can make the day special for your mom. If you’re not busy, then Valentine’s day is a good time to do something a little extra special for the woman that raised you. Buy your mom a gift or a card to make her smile.
Being single on Valentine’s Day may at times seem to be a little upsetting, but when you think positive, it’s really a ton better! It’s more stress free and you have the opportunity to treat yourself, because you deserve it.