By Isabella Helm
The U.S. has many great places to vacation, some more known than others. When you think of places to vacation in the U.S. most people think of Florida, Los Angeles, New York, or Disney World. But there are plenty of great places to vacation in the U.S. that not as many people know about. These places are so unique and special in their own ways.
- Letchworth State Park, N.Y. – This place is super cool because it is nicknamed the “Grand Canyon of the East.” The park gets its nickname because the canyons have 600-foot-high walls. This state park is 14,427 acres and on the land, there are three large waterfalls that flow from the Genesee River. This park also features 66 miles of hiking trails all throughout the surrounding forests. These trails can also be used for horseback riding, snowmobiling, cross-country, and biking. You can also go kayaking, white-water rafting, or swimming. Altogether there is something for everyone in Letchworth State Park. If you want to learn and have fun, this is the spot for you.
- Oregon Coast, Ore.– The Oregon Coast is not only breathtaking, it is also all public land. The coastline stretches 363 miles long. You can also go and catch clams or crabs along the beaches. Oregon also has lots of lighthouses all along its beaches. You can also take a relaxing horseback ride down the beach. If you want to relax this is the place for you.
- Orcas Island, Wash. – 5,252 square miles of forest, waterfalls, and beaches. There are more than 38 miles of hiking trails that you can ride bikes, drive, or hike on. You can also go kayaking, whale-watching, or horseback riding. Altogether, this is one of the best places that have a little bit of everything.
- Apostle Islands, Wis. – Apostle Islands consist of 21 islands inside of Lake Superior. Hiking, biking, sailing, paddle-boarding, or taking a cruise are all things you can do on these islands. There are also tons of sea caves, shipwrecks, and lighthouses all around the islands. They have tons of tours you can go on to view the caves, shipwrecks, or lighthouses. A totally exciting historical place.
- El Matador Beach, Malibu, Calif. – Nicknamed, “California’s best-kept secret,” this vacation spot has tons of sea caves and large rocks to explore. This beach has some of the best sunset views in Malibu. So if you want to relax and view the best sunset in Malibu, this is the spot for you.
- Portland, Maine – Portland, Maine is one of happiest cities in the U.S. Portland has one of the busiest ports in Maine in these ports they offer ferry rides to other islands close by. Portland is filled with award-winning chefs with great restaurants to eat at. Overall Portland is a great little getaway on the East Coast.
- Gatlinburg, Tenn. – Gatlinburg, Tenn. is a great place to view the Smoky Mountains that stretch all through the eastern part of Tennessee. There are tons of things to do here such as camping, hiking, biking, and swimming. There are so many fun places to go: waterparks, aquariums, and zip line parks.
- Assateague Islands, Va. and Md. – This is one of the coolest places to get close to animals. The beaches are home to lots of wild horses, over 300 species of birds, and tons of other animals. There are also tons of forests all around the land where you can see even more animals. So if you want to get close to nature this is the closest you can get.
- Tennessee Valley, Calif. – Tennessee Valley has tons of rolling hills all around with tons of trails to hike or bike on. These trails are especially challenging because of all the hills. So if you are looking for challenging trails this is the place for you.
- Asheville, N.C. – Asheville is a cute little town in North Carolina that keeps things old school. They have trolley tours that go all around the town. They also have tons of old famous buildings to visit. You can also take a tour of the behind the scenes area of the Hunger Games movie. So if you like cute little towns this is the best vacation spot for you.
As great as places like L.A. and New York is really cool but these little towns have such a passion for what they do which improves the whole experience. So next time you plan your vacation look for the places you’ve never heard of before and you might just have your best adventure yet!